Godman Guild's Advocacy Agenda
The Godman Guild Association knows that programming is not enough to support transformational change. We need policy changes to help us fulfill our mission.
Skill Based Hiring
- STARs are workers who are Skilled Through Alternative Routes, rather than through a bachelor’s degree.
- STARs include people of all ages and at all life stages, from twenty-somethings just starting their career to workers with decades of on-the-job experience. They can be found in every sector of the workforce, from retail, travel, and hospitality to health care, information technology, manufacturing, and more.
- They’re the 50% of the workforce that has developed valuable skills through military service, community college, training programs, partial college completion, or, most commonly, on-the-job experience.
The Guild is committed to supporting STARs in their journey and advocating for skill based hiring with our employer partners and the community at large.
Tear the Paper Ceiling
- The paper ceiling: (n) the invisible barrier that comes at every turn for workers without a bachelor’s degree. See also: no alumni network, biased algorithms, degree screens, stereotypes, and misconceptions.
- The Guild is pledged and committed to tearing the paper ceiling and seeing the world beyond it. Where "qualified" means qualities, not just degrees. A world where untapped potential gets to flourish. STARs are all around us. It’s time to let them shine.